Monday, January 16, 2012

Handy: Look up Kanji by Drawing your Query

If you are studying Japanese and come across kanji you do not know how to pronounce, you might find this link very handy.

http://kanji.sljfaq.org/

This website allows you to look up kanji by writing it using your cursor.  I have made use of it numerous times while studying the language.  One of my favourite methods is to watch Japanese television shows like NEP LEAGUE, a game show that features hiragana, katakana and kanji writing and recognition.  If I can't recognize a kanji character and I don't know how it sounds, I come to the kanji dictionary site to draw it and look it up.  This often occurs when I see kanji from signs, brands and questions on the game show.  It's a great exercise for stroke order and for learning by association to the character and the images that accompany it on the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment